July 20, 2010.
The video we watched in class was truly inspirational!
If given the opportunity and proper supports people can achieve anything they put their mind to.
You have to believe nothing is impossible and it is our responsibility as teachers to instill this believe in the minds of our students by giving them all the support we can possibly give them so they can reach their full potential and be their best self.
We were asked to look for videos that we thought were inspirational.
I found this video to be especially inspirational. I have rowed now for 14 years competitively off and on. I can't imagine not having the sport of rowing in my life. Last summer I was entered into a local race and when I was waiting for my race I was watching the other races come down the lake. I looked at the race schedule and I noticed that there was an adaptive rowing race later in the afternoon. But it bothered me that there was only one double entered in the race and they didn't have anyone to race against. So I asked if I could enter the race with my double partner. Our boat was adapted so that we were only able to use our arms just like the other crew. As the two boys in the double against us were in wheel chairs and did not have any use of their legs. Well the result is that they beat us quite easily. I couldn't believe how hard it was to row with just using my arms! This crew had been rowing at the Halifax boat club for two summers and absolutely loved the sport. They told me that they were so happy to finally get some competition. I found these two boys to be very inspirational and that experience inspired me to find this video about an other rowing club that offers adaptive rowing.
I learned a great deal of information from this course. The five assignments on Bookmaker Plus, Ipod Touch Apps, Prologuo2go, Social stories and low tech finders and inventors, all provided me with a greater knowledge of Assisstive technology. I feel so much more prepared as a classroom teacher now that I have this knowledge. I came into our last course knowing very little about assistive technology. I honestly had no idea the amount of resources available that would make such an influence on the lives of many people. Leaving this course with this knowledge will not go to waste. I look forward to this year now that I have more tools in my tool box to assist every student in reaching their full potential. The one quote from Barb that I will always remember from this class, that I will live by as a teacher is to "always assume competency".
Signing off
Laura Ross
No comments:
Post a Comment